The 9 acre Kenmare Workhouse was designed by George Wilkinson based on his standard plan to hold 500 inmates. Workhouses were used by those who were unable to find food for themselves. The workhouse was declared fit for purpose in 19th August and took its 1st admission on October 1st 1845. Its construction cost £6550 and fittings were a further £1380.
There were male and female wings masters quarters utility rooms a bake house and wash house as well as a psychiatric ward. A fever hospital for 40 was constructed in the mid-1840s. The workhouse became Kenmare Community Hospital in 1936.