POI description


Killarney House (Golden Gates) (EN)


stage image

The locally known Golden Gates stand guard at the remaining entrance to Killarney House and Gardens. The house was renovated and opened to the public in 2016. The house has a long and complicated history. The original 18th century house, was home to the Earls of Kenmare and was burned in 1913. Knockreer House now sits adjacent to its ruins. The family moved to a renovated stable block of the nearby Kenmare House. John McShanne an American investor purchased Kenmare House in the 1950s renaming it Killarney house. It reverted to the state on the demise of his wife Mary in 1998. There are extensive gardens and parklands

Listen to the audio!

Stage that crosses this POI

  • Kenmare to Killarney (EN)
  • Map