Derrycunnihy Roman Catholic Church was built in 1870 opened in 1874 and closed in 1960. It was opened by Margaret Browne a daughter of Lord Kenmare on whose land it was built. It served the community in the Black Valley and the Old Kenmare Road who had previously attended Mass in a nearby cottage. It was damaged by fire in the 1950s and threatened again in 1990 by gorse fires. It is reputedly designed by Pugin as was Killarneys' great Cathedral. Allegedly the ghost of a young girl, killed in a fall from a bike in the 1950s wanders through this area at night.