The first Franciscans came to Ireland, Youghal County Cork, in 1226. They prospered until suppression during the Reformation 1530s. Muckross Abbey was founded in 1448 and was the residence of the Friars until 1698 when the Penal laws forced them into exile. Many of the monks preferred to go into hiding rather than leave the country so for approximately 80 years they lived in isolated cottages in places such as Friars Glen between Mangerton and Torc mountains. In 1780 the friars moved into Killarney setting up a school for boys at the back of what is now Scotts Hotel. In the 1840s this burned down and they moved the school near to the cathedral. The Friary in Killarney dates to 1860 and is built on lands with a 999 year lease.